I love taking taxis, but for all their positive qualities they do lack one important factor you never miss on the bus: interactions with the crazies. Okay, not every bus ride yields a run in, but I have had my fair share while on board. In Pittsburgh a woman was escorted off the bus by the police after attacking the driver. That was amazing and so was my experience tonight.
A woman carrying a bag of body wash boarded the bus a few stops after me and sat in my general area. She sat, put down her bag, and immediately started speaking in Cantonese very loudly and angrily. I tried to spot her companion on the bus, to whom she was addressing, but came up with no one. Searching for a hidden cell phone also proved fruitless. I was starting to get concerned as I noticed she was directing a lot of her diatribe towards her reflection in the mirror. Hand gestures were used and she seemed to only be getting angrier and angrier. She pulled out a tissue and began caressing her face while still carrying on in her tirade. I caught a few English words here and there, but was still puzzled.
The other passengers looked worried too and a woman and I exchanged nervous smiles. It was disconcerting that speaking the same language, these fellow riders had no more idea what was going on than I did. Eventually, after repeatedly looking over at me, the woman transitioned into English. She was talking about how she wanted young, beautiful, shiny, tight, smooth skin like some unnamed young woman. Basically this woman's greatest fear was to look old. "No riches can compensate" for bad skin. But don't you worry, she had a plan to fight the effects of aging. "If [she] washes two, three, times a day with the face detergent [she] will have beautiful, young skin."
Sadly my bus stop came too soon and I never heard the rest of the plan. Without this information to fight the aging process, I am destined to wind up like this woman, shouting on the bus about the good ol' days when I had beautiful, young skin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
I think a greater concern you might want to entertain is that if you're not careful, you'll be arguing with your own reflection! Apparently, your radiant beauty set her off. Take that as a compliment or a warning... the taxi's sounding better and better.
your youthful appearance inspired a woman to go crazy! excellent.
Last weeks Oprah was seriously on women in easter countries who drink urine, and animal collagen to keep their youthful glow!! Crazy!!
I would like to clarify that I did not mean to imply I was the beautiful woman that set this lady off. I am judging from her bag of 3 oversized body washes that this was an issue long before she boarded the bus. We all know I'm vain, but even I can't take credit for launching that kind of break down.
Kelsey,
That is hilarious. Having never rode a bus, I have never experienced the crazys that one may come across in such situations. For this, I envy you.
I've had my fair share of crazy bus experiences as well! i say, take the bus. these experiences are worth it and fun to laugh at later.
Oh me oh my (he barks all day and night) what a magical moment for you! What was running through your mind? I love those moments where you can hardly fathom what's going on. Oh how I wish I could have been there with you! People watching on the bus is almost as good as Costco.
Post a Comment