Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Benefits of Typhoons

As previously mentioned, Friday was a typhoon 8 day. It really is incredible to see such a normally crowded, busy city be controlled by such a small storm. The streets are literally deserted. The only places that stay open are the 7-Elevens, but they never close! I basically stayed at home the whole day, but some friends (here on vacation) went to Causeway Bay and said it was devoid of the crowds that normally define the sopping Mecca. Actually they said they were the only ones they saw! Pretty eerie for a city that seems to never sleep! The funniest part of the whole day was that the storm never got very bad. It may have been stronger in other areas, but it just rained and was mildly windy here. Can you imagine if the people here had to endure a monsoon storm?! It would blow their minds!

I spent the day watching movies and cleaning my flat. I can now post some pictures of it with being embarrassed of the terrible mess. There are still some things I haven’t found homes for (specifically my suitcases of clothing), but give it time.



As a reward for braving a typhoon 8 (actually it got all the way up to level 9 for a record breaking 11 hours!) and the boredom that is staying home all day without a tv, phone, or the internet, I went to the bakery down the street and bought myself some carbs. Here is a photo of the wheat rolls I had for dinner (with meat and cheese), some sort of chocolate drizzled doughnut (looks better than it was), and some cake bread. The last was by far my favorite. Imagine if angel food cake and Mexican wedding cakes had some sort of love child. This cake bread would be that baby: a-ma-zing!

2 comments:

Kristine hipps said...

Love what you've done with the place and I finally see what you meant by the couch belonging to Grandma! Maybe you can two-tone paint the walls off white and you'll really feel at home!! The cake sounds intriquing, but I'm a bit disturbed by the mental image of you eating a baby...

Leisel said...

I too love the views from your flat. Thet remind me of Russia. The inside is different however. I guess that is where the cultures can really show themselves! I lve that you call it a flat. It sounds propper as well.