A couple of posts back I said that my life was in a rut that consisted of going to out to eat every night with the same few people. After some thought, I realized that while yes, I do go out to eat a lot and that in theory is boring to blog about, I live in Hong Kong and a being in a rut here is still more exciting than many other things in life. Case in point: Wednesday's dinner at The Intercontinental . Before going to the Chinese restaurant inside I was told it "...it is lauded as one of Asia's - and the world's - finest" Chinese restaurants. What more can I say? It was magical. Sadly I couldn't capture all of its splendor with my own camera, but the website photos look much better than anything I could have taken. The view alone made the night, not to mention the food and jade place settings.
Worried I might be getting too pretentious, I had to take it down a notch on Thursday. Here's all you need to know about the night:
(T with his raw beef noodle soup. My curry chicken was good, all the meat was from the neck and full of bones - delicious.)
The juxtaposition of these two nights sent me musing on my other dining experiences in HK and I've decided I really can't complain about being in a rut anymore.
Here are Karissa and I at a vegetarian restaurant. We were seated on a raised platform filled with pillows, a guitar, and a drum (everyone else was sitting at regular old tables). I never felt more like a hippie than when I took off my shoes, sat cross-legged among the throw pillows and ate my baked tofu and risotto.
And here is a photo from our Indian night. We all brought some type of Indian food, ate, and watched Darjeeling Limited. You better believe I made naan.
(Laura and Karissa with some leftovers)
The juxtaposition of these two nights sent me musing on my other dining experiences in HK and I've decided I really can't complain about being in a rut anymore.
Here are Karissa and I at a vegetarian restaurant. We were seated on a raised platform filled with pillows, a guitar, and a drum (everyone else was sitting at regular old tables). I never felt more like a hippie than when I took off my shoes, sat cross-legged among the throw pillows and ate my baked tofu and risotto.

3 comments:
while you're on an international tour of cuisine you should try sampling some tasty ethnic men from those same countries too.
indian food/naan bread night sounded fun except for the movie, which ranks right up there along side "the family stone" on the list of all-time worst movies an Wilson brother was in. but i just wanted to tell you that brad kesler has already laid claim to the concept of an american sandwich shop featuring strictly naan bread. he calls it "the naan-conformist".
so don't even bother, the idea is spoken for.
by matt b.
Kelsey,
here you are experiencing a world full of sophisticated foods and culture, and last night I ate beanie weenies and watched a pirated "Slumdog Millionaire." I really should get our more. I hope when we see each other again I won't be too boring for you.
Post a Comment