Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Busiest Place in Hong Kong

Last night Koon and Joanne took me shopping in Mongkok and while it isn’t as nice as Causeway Bay, I loved it! After work Joanne and I hopped on a bus and headed into town. Koon joined up with us at a later bus stop and we all crossed over from Hong Kong Island into Kowloon (Kowloon is connected to mainland China). I made the mistake of saying I would try anything for dinner so they decided to take me to my first real sushi place. We sat at a counter that snaked through the restaurant. A conveyor belt ran along the middle of the counter and you could grab plates of different kind of sushi off it. Facets with steaming hot water were also on the counters so you could fill up your cup with a green tea packet inside. It was also my first time having to rely on chopsticks! I dropped half of my rice in the sauce bowl and could never get it out! Some things I liked more than others and I wouldn’t stay sushi is my new favorite food, but it was pretty good! Here I am with the salmon.


I also had this wrap thing that was rice, some kind of yogurt, crab eggs, and fried soft shell crab in a seaweed wrap. It was my favorite and beautiful, but I’m sorry I didn’t get a photo!

The biggest incident happened when I accidentally ate a bunch of wasabi at once. My mouth was in serious pain so I quickly drank a big gulp of water. Unfortunately, it was still piping hot and I scalded my mouth and throat! Not my finest moment!

After diner, we went to get me a card for my phone. Joanne is really great about hunting for the best deal and she found me a great plan! I can know make international calls for really cheap! Joanne and I also found some great clearance prices at G2 Black Label. Koon is a VIP member there so he got an additional 10% off. I bought this coat for the equivalent of about $25 USD. I love it and can’t wait for winter!


Here I am on a main shopping street. When we got off the bus in Mongkok, Koon told me it is the busiest place in HK. Joanne then pointed out that he said the exact same thing in Causeway Bay on Monday. She told me he’ll say it again when we go to the next big shopping area too. When I’ve been everywhere I’ll let you know what really is the busiest. But so far, Mongkok was pretty crazy to me!

7 comments:

Minharos said...

Cool, nothing like shopping to put your mind at ease. Atticus saw your sushi pic and asked "That Kelsey's airplane food?" I certainly hope it was more appetizing than that! It's weird to see your hair short since I haven't really seen you with the haircut- you look great!

Kristine hipps said...

Good to see evidence that you survived your first typhoon! When we went to Oregon last summer it was so beautiful but all over "town" there were tsunami evacuation signs! Food for thought. Speaking of food, I've done the same thing w/ wasabe and boiling water but not at the same time - sorry! Wish we could have seen the conveyer belt in action, but it's good to see YOU in action! Have fun (& shop) for the rest of us - represent!

Leisel said...

James and I had sushi for our first time this week as well. It was our 7th anniversary and we went to Kona Grill. It was actually cooked sushi (I didn't know there was such thing). James liked it, me...it was ok. I didn't even use chopsticks!

Minharos said...

Hey Kels -- This is Levy by the by
I LOVE MONGKOK!! I actually lived right in there for well over 6 months, and you will be hard pressed to find a more crowded place. There's a place in Mongkok called "Lady's Street market," and if you ever want to find cheap junk that you'll never find anywhere else, that's you're destination!! (T-shirt central!!)

P.S. have Koon Koon take you to eat Dim Sum (Ask for the Gai Geurk. he he he)

Steve and Shell said...

hi kelsey. remember me? young womans, saratoga ward? yes i found your blog. and i love it! why are you in hong kong?

kelsey said...

Hi Shelli (or is it Shelly?)! I am glad you found and read the blog! I used to read your's (I got the link off of Matthew and Lindsay's), but I am going to have to check it out again and leave a comment! To answer your question, I'm here teaching English. I'm not here with a program or anything - I just thought it would be fun to try someplace new. I think I bit off more than I can chew!

kelsey said...

Oh, Levy, I did go to the Ladies Market, but I didn't really look around. Next time!