Sunday, September 28, 2008

Laundry Day

It's Sunday night and I find myself desperately trying to avoid doing laundry by thinking of anything else I could do instead. When both of the English tv stations turned out to be broadcasting in foreign languages for the night I turned to my old stand by: the blog. And while I wouldn't say I was taking requests for blogs, Leisel, I will say that having nothing else to do (or rather, nothing else I want to do) is as good a reason as any to start. So, here you go, a couple pictures of some of my favorite students. Actually, I like all of my students, these just happen to be particularly funny. I'll post two today and I'm going to withhold names out of privacy (my teacher ed teachers would be proud).
This little charmer is hilarious. He always says really funny things and gives me sage wisdom on how to live my life. The other day I asked him what his favorite room in his home was and he told me, "My bedroom. It's my kingdom." He was completely earnest and I love him for it. He, like several other students, has warned me repeatedly not to eat moon cakes because I will get too fat. One girl in another class reiterated this sentiment by telling me how we need to stay fit. To have 10 year kids lecture you on healthy eating habits is both ridiculous and amazing.
And finally, this boy is 3 and comes for an hour a week. We don't have structured lessons, I just follow him around trying to push the books his mother sends for us to look at in front of him. He will have none of it, but he does speak as well or better than native English speaking 3 year olds. In this picture I think he was trying to prove his ethnicity by giving the ever popular V/peace sign. Unfortunately his hand coordination isn't quite up to par and only the thumb and pointer finger made it up.
I have some more pictures I'll save for another laundry day and I'll try to get some more at work this week. But hopefully for now, these two will do.

4 comments:

Minharos said...

Cute kids. How old is the first one? I've narrowed the range to anywhere from 5 to 27. (27 if you compare him to that amazing 7/9? year old Chinese kid in the Olympics opening ceremony.)

The Kingsley Family said...

You're right Kelsey. . .If Brenda saw this blog I think she would be ever so impressed. And both you and I know how impressive and hard it is to make that woman proud.

Leisel said...

that first kid didn't look all that petite (as do most of the natives you've shown). Who is he to give advise? We were out at the Dana Park Grand opening the other night (where Euphoria used to be) and someone was walking around with Pocky stix. I turned to follow them to see where they got them, but James stopped me because he thought it was wierd.

Kristine hipps said...

I now know what Atticus would look like if he was chinese! Those are the cutest kids (no offense to the cutest grandkids in the universe) and their sage wisdom is impressive. Once again, Katie better check and make sure that Atticus is actually at home and not dyeing his hair black and attending English class once a week!