Thursday, September 4, 2008

Forget the Elliptical Machine - Come to HK

After reading Katie's post about the front hill of her house, I was reminded of my own hill here in HK. While it isn't covered in ivy, it is a touch bit bigger. My own street is perfectly level, but to get to anywhere other than work I have to climb, and climb, and climb. The grocery store, McDonald's, banks, and other commercial buildings are located up these stairs.
Where that car is, is my street. Past the car are the stairs I climb to go up. Back where I am taking the picture from is the top of the big hill to go down.

Down the hill are smaller shops peddling anything you can think of. Though I don't trust the salmonella covered cuts of meat hanging around, the meat market is visible from my window. I get the pleasure of experiencing it fine aroma, rather than taste (you can see people plugging their noses as they walk by; it's that bad!) I primarily go down this way to get to the little shops with cleaning products or other household supplies. There is a bus stop at the base of the hill that I sometimes use, but only when I can't avoid it. All in all, I feel this street is an easy, local way to experience the culture of HK. But why does this journey have to be so steep?!


Trust me, these pictures don't do it justice! What looks like level ground is running at an angle and what looks a little steep is painful! We are talking a hill so steep that escalators have been installed. That right, escalators on a public street. Actually, I just remembered that Joanne told me when I first moved here that it was the steepest hill in HK! Man, my legs better be so toned by the time I leave here!

3 comments:

Leisel said...

yikes. I hope you brought your walking shoes!

Minharos said...

You should have walked Macey back and forth to school a few more times in preparation for this. Once again your Pittsburgh experience was just a warm up for what awaited you in Hong Kong.

Don't you hate how hard it is to get a good picture of a hill. I tried to get our street once and gave up because it looked so flat- at least ours is short!

Now that I'm walking Macey to school again I'm up and down our hill twice a day. It killed me the first day, but little by little it gets better. When you move back we can get together and revel in how thin and toned we are! Perhaps over a jar of nutella- just for old times sake :)

Kristine hipps said...

I love the flavor the pictures give - a hustling metropolis full of interesting people in a new & exciting culture(but I'm not sure I want to know the story of the older, shirtless man...ok, I'm really curious!).