After shopping for a while and watching the ice skaters we headed over to TST to meet up with some more people and grab dinner. The Indian food we had was great, but spicy and the workers couldn't seem to keep up with our water usage. It was a fun restaurant because it is in this building with all of these Indian men inviting you to their restaurant (at least that's what I think was happening). We were led up this back stair case and taken into a restaurant that had a "members only" sign posted up. I was really clueless as to what was happening, but I think that's for the best.
Once dinner was finished we walked over to the harbor to watch the fireworks along with every other person in Hong Kong. I had just read a news article about this stampede in India that left 160 people dead. I suddenly understood how this was possible and began to feel claustrophobic. We were packed in so tightly and had to just shove people to get up closer. Fortunately we had a 6'3" blond guy with us. He served as a beacon that we could follow. I got separated from the group at one point and he had to grab my hand and literally reel me into the rest of the group; I couldn't budge on my own. It was insane. We then had to stand in this crowd for about two hours until the fireworks started. But the wait and the crowd was worth it! The fireworks were incredible!
They shot them up from barges in the middle of the harbor. We were on the Kowloon side so we got to watch them with the cool skyline in the background. The buildings were all lit up from the light show and the fireworks reflected off the glass. You would have to be a robot not to be filled with some measure of national pride after that display!

I know the pics are blurry, but there was no way I was going to hold my hand up long enough to accommodate the shutter speed (it takes forever at night).

6 comments:
Is it just me, or do they have way too many holidays in Hong Kong? It seems like almost every week you're writing about what you did for the holiday that week! For such an industrious place, Hong Kong sure likes to take time off for holidays. :)
I forgot to say how jealous I am of all those celebrations!
A stampede of what? Of PEOPLE???
Way cool that I found you. I ran into Lindsay and she gave me your low down. I can't believe you are related now. I am so proud of you for being a teacher. It sounds like things are great for you Kelsey, way out there.
Remember me? We haven't spoken since I called you right before your high school graduation.
Kelsey,
After watching the olympics and viewing your photos, I am convinced that the Chinese know how to throw a party. You should learn a few tips while you are there. That way, when you come back you can become a prodigy of a party thrower.
KELSEY!!! How are you? It looks like you are having a great time in HONG KONG?!?!? That is amazing. how long have you been there? What are you doing there?
Post a Comment