
Emily, Meghan, and I headed over to the Tai Tam Reservoir Hike early in the afternoon. I don't really know where this hike is in relation to the island, but it was beautiful where ever it was. I had bought some exercise shorts right before we got on the bus and was pretty jazzed about them. I think the purchase gave me a false sense of complacency. Because as soon as we got off the bus and started to walk to the hike, reality hit in. Am I not the girl who opted out of the third year girl's camp hike in favor of the walk through the woods reserved for the handicapped? Unfortunately Emily and Meghan are active people and we haven't been friends long enough for me to unleash the true extent of my complaining. So I stifled my fears and set off along the longest, steepest hill I have ever dared to climb in the blazing sun. I was feeling pretty winded and dripping sweat heavily before we made it even half way to the hike. Asthma I had forgotten I had kicked in and I struggled to keep up. Luckily the hill ended eventually and even more luckily, it ended at the start of the most ridiculously easy hike known to man.
I was really relieved to know that I wasn't more feeble than the senior missionaries as I was able to walk the hike with ease. The views were incredible as you can see in the photos. So while I did initially wish I was at home eating Tim Tams, I had a really great time. Yes, I was disgustingly sweaty and we never ended up going swimming, but I think I would be willing to go again. How's that for growth?!
I was really relieved to know that I wasn't more feeble than the senior missionaries as I was able to walk the hike with ease. The views were incredible as you can see in the photos. So while I did initially wish I was at home eating Tim Tams, I had a really great time. Yes, I was disgustingly sweaty and we never ended up going swimming, but I think I would be willing to go again. How's that for growth?!
In the name of full disclosure, I was pretty sick afterwards from not getting enough to eat or drink that morning, but the headache did eventually pass! Here's the undoctored truth:




7 comments:
Wow, I was shocked and impressed that at your admission that you would do it again. The end looks more like it. Way to tell it like it is. Hiking is hard and awful and strangely satisfying and addictive at the same time. How can that be?
I went on a lateness induced run this morning which was not worth it, and I will be do all I can to avoid ever repeating that mistake. In addition to the pain I've since suffered, I consumed about 10,000 extra calories as a reward for my hard work. So not worth it!
Hey not fair. That last picture you look like you have been tortured and tormented beyond belief---and it's a teeny tiny picture! You are supposed to make it clickable so I can make it as big as my screen so as to determine if that's real suffering or you playacting.
And Katie..at least you have that run to blame! I'm blaming my um....3 or more extra cookies upon returning home from having a taste of that yummy brownie thing you made to start me on my downward spiral. Now I know why I NEVER have sweet stuff at lunchtime!
I just realized I perhaps made no sense. Forgive me if I didn't--I blame it on all the cookies I just took in.
I am so surprised beyond description that you willingly went on a hike and then said that you would do it again. It's like I don't even know you anymore.
I know where Tai tam is, my school is right next to that trail, i have hiked it several times. So awesome
Dayson was reading the post with me and he said "hey what is my friend doing?!?" I guess he knows how much you like to hike as well!
Then when we were reading the comments, he got really excited to see Atticus' picture. "Hey my otther friend!"
Reading your blog is my personally recommended mental health prescription! Laughing out loud for that long HAS to be healthy!! Just thinking about you & Alex choosing the wimpiest hikes at girls camp & now stifling your complaints so as not to disgust your new athletic friends just makes me chortle all over again. If you had to risk death then that is an absolutely gorgeous place to be buried!
Post a Comment