Monday night Joanne, Koon, and I went to Mong Kok for a little shopping. I wanted to buy a straightener, but underestimated my own hair's curliness in comparison to the Asians' whose hair the machines were marketed to. A complete waste of time and money! Actually just money; time spent in Mong Kok is always well worth it! After procuring the straightener, Koon had to leave for a family dinner, but Joanne and I decided to hit the town. Just walking around the city always yields interesting sights. We walked around for a bit and then decided it was time for dinner. After much deliberation we landed on Korean food. The Korean BBQ was really fun and all of the food was delicious! I have decided that of all the different kinds of food in Asia, Chinese may be my least favorite. Maybe other countries adaptations of other cultures foods are just better than the originals. Whatever the reason, I loved Chinese food in the US, but here in China it's just a little strange. Yet the Chinese interpretations of other countries foods are amazing!
Here is Joanne at the restaurant. You get to BBQ your vegetables and meats and then we also ordered a hot pot. It has rice, meat, egg, and vegetables mixed in a spicy and sour sauce (it was mostly just spicy). Some seaweed soup came with the meal also. Everything was incredible and I can't wait to eat some again!

After eating we walked over to the ladies market and then this mall with really cheap stuff. I didn't buy anything, but everything was really fun to look at. I got lots of Christmas present ideas, so look out! Here I am at the ladies market. Pardon how dreadful I look, I wasn't feeling well and it was a very long day!

The ladies market reminds me of China town or what I feel the boardwalk at Venice Beach
should be. Either way its pretty fun!
2 comments:
O.K. Two quick things . . . first of all, the spin that the Chinese put on traditional foods can be a little bizarre at times. If you don't believe me . . . keep an eye out on you're local McDonald's. The day they sell Red Bean Ice Cream, or Curry Hamburgers (which are green by the way) You'll understand.
Secondly, Lady's Street is amazing!! The amount of junk I bought there is staggering!!
I hear you on the McDonald's business! I was eating a chicken sandwich and couldn't figure out why my mouth was on fire. That's when it hit me: wasabi! The mayo was actually a wasabi based sauce. And I thought McDonald's was a good way to escape the local asian cusine!
Post a Comment